Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Descendants of Elisha & Martha (Johnson) Pace
09-22-2005, 12:58 PM,
Descendants of Elisha & Martha (Johnson) Pace
Hi there,
I am tracking the children of Elisha & Martha (Johnson) Pace. Elisha (b: 1783 in Louisa Co. VA) died in Fayette Co. OH in 1854, but Martha and most of their adult children went west to Iowa not long after.
Martha (b: 1782 in VA) died in Decatur Co. IA in 1865.
Eldest son William Henry settled in Decatur Co. IA for several years, but after his house burned down the winter of 1863; he and his youngest brother John Andrew Pace moved their families to Harrison Co., IA. in the spring of 1864. William died there in 1890, his wife Sarah Ann Ferguson died there in 1899.
John's 1st wife Catherine Stonerock died in Decatur Co. abt. 1861. John died in Pottawattomie Co. IA in 1911 and his 2nd wife Elizabeth Ball then died there in 1919.
Son Thomas C. settled in Madison Co. IA. His wife Nancy A. Payne died there in 1886 but I don't know what became of Thomas.
Daughters Mary W. & Martha also settled in Decatur Co. IA w/their families. Mary's husband Joseph McCready died in Decatur Co. in 1881 but she is said to have died in 1902 in OK.
Martha died in 1889 in Decatur Co. and her husband Howell Lewis Chandler died there in 1898.
Son Edward H. & wife Sarah E. Payne settled in Van Buren Co. IA, but I have little on them to date.
Daughter Eliza Jane and her husband John Moore settled in Decatur Co. IA. Eliza died in Decatur Co. IA in 1907, but I'm not sure about John other then he seems to have died before 1880 as Eliza is listed as a widow that year in the census, living with her son John & dau.-in-law.
Son James Richard & wife Tabitha Penton Moore settled in Decatur Co. IA as well. James died there in 1879 and Tabitha is said to have died in OK in 1905.
My line runs from the youngest son John Andrew Pace, 1826 - 1911 via his 2nd wife Elizabeth. Their eldest son Andrew Jackson "Jack" Pace is my great-grandfather.
John Andrew was know to be an Apostate Mormon and I am curious to know if any of his siblings were as well as this may have been what prompted the families to go west. Many settled in areas that the Mormon Trail ran through or that fostered fair sized communities of Apostate Mormons (and later RLDS) at the time.
I would be very interested in hearing from any of Elisha'd descendants.
Bye for now,
Kathleen

Bye for now,<br />Kathleen