Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Obit of Rev John Pace
05-20-2004, 10:51 PM,
Obit of Rev John Pace
From - The Western Christian Advocate, published Cincinnati, OH, 6-140, 20 Dec 1839. This is a Methodist newspaper that printed news of the church and it's members throughout the western frontiers.

John Pace
Died, at his residence near Fulton, Callaway county, Mo., Rev. John PACE, local deacon in the Methodist Episcopal church, in the 76th year of his age. He was born in King and Queen county, Va., August 12th, 1764. When about 17 years of age, he enlisted as a soldier in the war of the Revolution, where he struggled and fought for his country’s liberty. During his service he shared in the fatigues of the siege of York. But in consequence of ill health, three days previous to the surrender of Cornwallis, he obtained a furlow to return home, but had not left the field at the time. Soon after his return, his mind turned to the subject of religion, and at different times he was seriously affected about the salvation of his soul; but it was not until Good Friday in the year 1788, when in the twenty-fourth year of his life, that he was enabled, by faith, to lay hold of the gospel promises, and felt that God for Christ’s sake had set his soul at liberty, having joined the church several months before, as a seeker of religion, under the ministry of Rev. Aquilla Sugg, a younger man than himself, when circumstance appears to have had great influence over his feelings. Pretty soon after his conversion he felt it to be his duty to warn sinners to flee the wrath to come, and was licensed to preach by Bishop Asbury, and in the fall of 1790 he joined the itinerancy, and was appointed to travel the Russell circuit; in 1791, Roanoke circuit; 1792, Tar River circuit, North Carolina; 1793, Guilford circuit, and in 1794, Cowpasture circuit six months, and was then changed by the presiding elder to Clynch River circuit. Here he endured many privations, and brooked many dangers fom the Indians, who were committing many depredations on the settlers; and at the close of the conference year he obtained a location, in consequence of ill health and family concerns. In the fall of the same year he emigrated to Kentucky, and settled near Richmond, Madison county, where he resided about forty years, during which time he magnified his office as a deacon in the church, preached extensively, and transacted much business for the public, to the entire approbation of all who knew him; and with but little intermission filled the offices of class leader and steward. His manner as a preacher was plain and simple, and never failed to make a salutary impression on his congregations. In the fall of 1834, he removed to the state of Missouri, and settled near Fulton, as above; where he resided for five years, and continued to preach, with his accustomed zeal and usefulness. Notwithstanding his advanced age, he would frequently travel from ten to twenty miles and preach, and return home the same day, in order to attend his school at the regular time on the succeeding day. But his work is done! On the evening of the 19th ult., he was suddenly siezed, as he thought, with cr*mp c*o*e; [unreadable, cramp choke?] which, however, proved to be congestive fever, under which he suffered much pain of body for four weeks, wanting one day. He bore his affliction with unexampled patience and christian fortitude; was never once heard to murmur or complain, but exercised himself constantly in prayer to God for a clean heart; and the Lord heard him. Several days previous to his death, his children being all present, with a number of other friends, he desired singing and prayer, when his soul was made to rejoice in hope of endless glory. He called his family to his bedside, and beginning with his wife, took them all by the hand, and gave to each in turn, a most impressive admonition; exhorting all to be faithful to God, and never turn back. He emphasized and repeated, “O, never turn back.” When he could but just whisper, he would say, “Praise! Praise! O, help me to praise!” On Friday, the 15th inst., without a struggle or groan, at 3 o’clock, A.M., he calmly fell asleep in the arms of Jesus, having served the church as a minister for fifty-one years. “Write, blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors; and their works do follow them.” John F. Young
Fayette, Howard co, Mo., Nov. 26, 1839.


Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)